WOMEN AND WAR
Let Us Put Women In Charge of War
My friend was not able to go on a skiing vacation with us this year because of disabilities caused by his year in the Vietnam War. My service escaped those ravages. The hurt of knowing that my friend Bill Bonnell was killed in Vietnam shortly after I got out of the U.S. Army caused me to avoid anything to do with that horrible war.
Now it is different. The passage of time caused me to be curious about how we ever got sucked into that war shortly after France got their butt kicked there. Recently, I read four seminal books on the subject:
1. Neil Sheehan (1989). A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam. New York, Vintage.
2. Sallah, Michael and Mitch Weiss. Tiger Force: A True Story of Men and War. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2006.
3. (1995) In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam. (Robert McNamara with Brian VanDeMark.) New York: Times Books, 1995. ISBN 0-8129-2523-8; New York: Vintage Books, 1996. ISBN 0-679-76749-5.
4. Stanley Karnow, Vietnam, A History, The First Complete Account of Vietnam at War, The Viking Press, 1983
The Vietnam War is a result of befuddled U.S leadership not understanding that Ho Chi Min’s quest was born in nationalism; NOT communism and the domino theory. But, more than that, it was born of stupid men. A glance at any of these books proves how stupid our American leadership was throughout.
There is not a trace of women’s influence in the decisions of this war. Nowhere.
Today, I watched in dismay as Senator John McClain upbraided Secretary of State John Kerry for carrying a twig rather than a big stick in foreign affairs. McClain would bomb first, talk later.
Since the dawn of time men have been in charge of war.
Alexander III of Macedon, commonly known as Alexander the Great, was a king of the Greek kingdom of Macedon. Born in Pella in 356 BC, Alexander succeeded his father, Philip II to the throne at the age of twenty and conquered most of the known world at the time. And so it has been since. Look at Putin.
One can read what these wars do to our young people. But, one already knows.
Men have been failures at keeping all humans out of war. Their testosterone leads humans to war after war after war. It is time to stop. No more war in the hands of Senator John McClain. No more war in the hands of men.
LET’S PUT WOMEN IN CHARGE OF WAR AROUND THE WORLD—-NOW!
claurenpaulson2014 email@example.com bulletinsfromaloha.org
THE BIGOT I KNOW
HE IS not CLOSE TO ME, OR IS HE? LET ME INTRODUCE MY business ACQUAINTANCE, mr. ED harnden, A DOWNTOWN LAWYER.
ONE DAY, DOWNTOWN,
I ASKED MY MOTHER….’WHY DO PEOPLE HATE NEGROES’?
THE OCCASION OF THE ASKING WAS my LOOKING AT AN ELEGANT, BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN CROSSING THE INTERSECTION BESIDE ME.
I WAS SIX
FOR TWENTY YEARS I DID CIVIL RIGHTS LAW. TAKE IT FROM ME……NOTHING IS CHANGED. NOTHING.
I WAS FORTY-FIVE
I WAS FIFTY-FIVE
i wanted to change the world and stop bigotry. the LEGAL world AND INTEL told me THEY wERE not ready for change.
i am seventy
ed harnden still plies his trade for the rich and powerful… WHILE i am DEAD IN THE LEGAL world….except FOR this powerful pen.
SADLY, greg is dead in THIS world............
and nothing has changed.
CURRENT TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENTS (Note Foreclosure Law Articles-and on Drones Torture, Due Process -Below)
1. Welcome To A New Blog Site for Oregon Lawyers(2/4/07)
2. Opening Page -- Purpose of This Blog Site (2/4/07)
3. Update -- The Oregon State Bar's Confused Organization( 2/6/07)
4. Feedback and Leadership at the Oregon State Bar(3/28/07)
5. Packing the Court -- The Oregon State Bar is an Oligarchy(4/5/07)
6. A Monumental Failure of Leadership(4/28/07)
7. Our Judicial Emperors Have No Clothes(5/22/07)
8. Oregon's Court of Appeals Has No Clothes(5/29/07)
9. Lawyer Advertising -- Not!(6/4/07)
10. Attorneys With Kind Hearts(6/10/07)
11. To Tell You The Truth(6/19/07)
12. Judicial Emperors With Clothes of Gold(6/23/07)
13. The "F" Word(6/25/07)
14. The Strange Case of Judge Michael McElligott(6/29/07)
15. A Simple Proposal for Judicial Accountability(7/11/07)
16. Legal Malpractice Got Me To Mt. Hood(7/19/07)
17. How Much Would You Spend to Shut Me Up?(7/31/07)
18. Erased -- By the Oregon State Bar(8/13/07)
19. They Rule, But Do Judges Read What You Send Them?(8/22/07)
20. Finally, A Solution to Divorce in America(8/27/07)
21. Silence is an Accomplice to Injustice(9/4/07)
22. Oregon Lawyers and the Oregon Media(9/16/07)
23. The Oregon Federal Court -- Evaluated(9/24/07)
24. The Oregon State Bar House of Delegates Meeting(10/3/07)
25. Oregon State Bar's Member Services--The Black Hole(10/5/07)
26. Whoever Has the Biggest Megaphone Wins(10/5/07)
27. Reality Overcomes Hope at the Oregon State Bar(10/10/07)
28. Common Law Does Not Make Common Sense(1/1/08)
29. Everybody is Looking the Wrong Way for Legal Help(1/9/08)
30. Does the Oregon State Bar Make Common Sense?(1/10/08)
31. You Are Not Entitled to a Jury Trial(1/23/08)
32. Roadmap To Improve Our Legal System(1/28/08)
33. Minority ‘Rites' of Passage in Oregon(2/1/08)
34. Our Legal System Has It Exactly Backwards(2/13/08)
35. In Defense of Your Local Lawyer(2/19/08)
36. One Year Anniversary of This Blog(2/22/08)
37. A ‘Subprime' Odyssey(2/26/08)
38. Rogue's Gallery is Too Good For Some(3/6/08)
39. An Open Letter to Justice Sandra Day O'Connor(3/13/08)
40. So You Want To Be A Blogger(3/19/08)
41. The Death of Ivan Ilych(4/1/08)
42. The New Oregon State Bar Center(4/8/08)
43. Theories for Legal Improvement -- And For Revolution(4/16/08)
44. Judicial Elections -- and Judicial Evaluations(4/23/08)
45. The Real Estate Auction -- The New Kid on The Block(4/30/08)
46. The Good Lawyers Do!(5/7/08)
47. The Power at The Oregon State Bar -- Practical Magic(5/14/08)
48. Report Card on The Oregon Supreme Court(6/10/08)
49. An Open Letter to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.(7/30/08)
50. Structured Settlements(8/7/08)
51. America, The Rule of Law and Torture(8/12/08)
52. Confessions of a Court-Appointed Criminal Defense Attorney(8/29/08)
53. Yes, Virginia The Sky IS Falling(9/19/08)
54. The Master Litigator(9/23/08)
55. A Model Legal System(10/1/08)
56. The Iconoclast(10/4/08)
57. A Model Legal System -- Subpart #1(10/7/08)
58. Legal Reading Lite(10/10/08)
59. A Model Legal System -- (Subpart #2(10/15/08)
60. Legal Reading Lite(10/16/08)
61. Viewer Comments(10/18/08)
62. A Model Legal System -- Subpart #3(10/21/08)
63. Judicial Elections Anyone!(10/27/08)
64. Redistribution Anyone?(10/30/08)
141. Eviction Court
URBAN RENEWAL — NEW JERSEY STYLE
A Surprising Tale of Success
Moving to New Jersey in the 1980’s from the West Coast, I was nervous about what I would find, never having been there before. Sure, while in the Army at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, I traveled the New Jersey Turnpike for New York City weekends, but that tollway gives no flavor of the real New Jersey.
On my first day, I landed at Red Bank in Central Jersey. The Shore is nearby and soon I found paradise. There is no place like the Jersey Shore. It is beautiful, it is varied, it is exciting, it is fun. The Italian sausage sandwiches delicious. The people real.
I took the job offer at Holmdel, New Jersey. The Shore boardwalks were my constant visits. I explored from Rumson, where rich people live, to Bay Head, where rich people live. Many locals are commuters to New York City, about an hour north.
My pocketbook could barely afford the cheapest place on the water at the Shore and my hopes were dashed when a classic historic bay front home was sold from underneath me by someone who offered MORE than the purchase price. The ill-fated transaction was for a home located in Long Branch, New Jersey.
While the shoreline between Rumson and Bay Head is mostly upscale, Long Branch was a town in decline and almost ruins. Unfortunately, Bruce Springsteen’s Asbury Park nearby was also in sharp decline.
Over the next months, my visits to Long Branch were both for pleasure and for continued house hunting. Later, although I bought elsewhere (on the water), I still continued to visit because I was noticing changes to Long Branch.
First, hippy types were opening candle shops behind the boardwalk because the rent was cheap. They would spruce up the window displays in cheap rental surroundings and do the best they could. Before long I noticed other shops with artwork, jewelry and whole foods. Soon, an upscale shop or two.
Second, the boardwalk amusement rides started to be refurbished and new ones added. Casual conversations with bartenders at the ubiquitous bars nearby, disclosed something beyond my ken. Improvements were supported by local mafia money. I saw evidence of this sort of thing closer to where I lived in Mantoloking at the local strip bar that kept growing. The strip club was owned by someone who lived in a house surrounded by higher than eight-foot fences. And no windows facing the street, which was pointed out to me by a local.
Then real change of another sort was evident. Housing immediately behind the board walk and including the area of the candle shops was being gentrified. My sources advised the money was coming from “Syrian Jews”. Whether any of this is true is beyond my ken. But, I was a frequent flyer at the local bars, because the area fascinated me, because I almost wound up living in Long Branch and also because the area was fun.
After five years Long Branch sparkled. My guess is the permit process was greased, the rebuilding money sharked and the codes not closely followed. But, I could be wrong, because that is beyond my ken. Urban Renewal Jersey Style. With little bureaucracy. No taxpayer money. No planning studies. It all worked.
THE FOLLY OF SEEKING IMMORTALITY INSTEAD OF HELPING THE POOR
There are Those who are Searching for Immortality instead of Truth and Justice
Upon returning to Portland, Oregon after ten years working in New York City and the East Coast, Mark O. Hatfield’s name was everywhere. His wife had accepted funds from a Greek arms dealer who wanted Hatfield to approve funding for a $6 billion trans-African pipeline.
Portland lawyer Ed Harnden seeks immortality of another sort. He wants the record for being photographed the most in bar publications, notably in the annual report of the Campaign for Equal Justice. CEJ is a front for funding the Oregon Law Foundation. A lawyer slush fund.
Salem lawyer Mark Comstock holds the sycophant record for his willingness to do former Oregon Supreme Court Chief Justice, Paul De Muniz’ dirty work.
And then there are the lawyer awards. There are many; for doing little. Be particularly suspicious of pro bono awards.
In 1997, Oregon’s federal courthouse was dedicated to Mark O. Hatfield and I had the pleasure of meeting him on the elevator in that building while going on a tour to visit the low-tech million dollar courtrooms.
The futility of all this may be seen in Ephesus, Turkey.
Though a secular country, Turkey has Muslim roots. Wandering through these Greek/Roman ruins, one finds finely carved marble detritus littered everywhere, caused by the ruinous Goth’s raids on the city. Among the ruins is the Artemis temple. Turkey could care less about the intrinsic value of this rich cultural location probably because of the religious alienation from anything remotely Christian. Thus, these spectacular ruins are just that. There was probably a Mark O. Hatfield or Ed Harnden equivalent street signs underneath some of these carved marble ruins; hoping for immortality. But, their names are just mingling with the weeds. Having done little for mankind.
In 1991, it was revealed that Hatfield had failed to report receipt of expensive gifts and was rebuked by the Senate Ethics Committee. Like Artemis, Hatfield has a temple named after him, the downtown Portland federal courthouse. It was completed in 1997 at a cost of $129 million, making it the fifth most-expensive courthouse of its size constructed in the 1990s. Where little is being done for mankind; especially if you are poor.